Interior Design with Jess Klein Studio
Interior Designer vs Interior Decorator
There is often a misconception that an interior designer and an interior decorator are one in the same. An interior designer is overseeing all design aspects through renovations, new construction, etc. Where as, an interior decorator mainly focuses on the furnishings, art and decor in a home, which is equally as important, once the structure of the home is already complete.
Our design firm offers both services as we are able to put together construction documentation to complete a project from start to finish. This includes the functionality of the home layout as well as the full design concept to implementation. Jess Klein Studio strives to bring sophisticated simplicity into the client’s home, approaching every project with high attention to detail through collaboration and partnership with the architects and contractors on that project.
Top 5 Reasons to Hire an Interior Designer
- The number of decisions you have to make for a renovation is wildly overwhelming
- JKS is educated in the various components of the home: electrical, HVAC, plumbing fixtures and how they work, appliances, materials and fixtures, etc. in order to design a thoughtful home, we must be well versed in these areas
- JKS acts as the bridge between the client, the architect, and the contractor, all while keeping the overall design vision streamlined and on track
- The JKS team are problem solvers – when something challenging arises during renovation / construction, which it always does, our team is able to provide creative solutions and help coordinate to fix / change the issue
- The last 10%! JKS creates detailed punch lists and fully completes our client’s project all the way down to the flowers and candle placed on the coffee table
INTERVIEW WITH FULL RENOVATION CLIENT
– Why did you decide to hire an Interior Design firm alongside the build team for your home renovation?
Client: We wanted to make sure that our home was thoughtfully designed both in function and aesthetic. In addition, with such a big project hiring an interior design firm in addition to our build team meant that all the details were carefully considered even on tight build timelines and the process was still fun for us along the way.
– How did working with JKS make your renovation process more streamlined?
C: Working with JKS meant there was a clear communication and decision making process in place as well as a shared vision for the space. Ultimately this resulted in a smooth project with less confusion and mistakes.
– Did you see the value in working with a design team throughout your renovation process?
C: Absolutely, I would not have done it any other way. Doing the full project at once with a design team meant it was all done the right way at once.
– Would you work with a design team (JKS) for another renovation in the future?
C: Yes, I can’t wait!
– What was your favorite part of working alongside an interior design team during your renovation?
C: My favorite part was seeing how my vision for the space became a reality. I wouldn’t have known how to make it a reality if it were not for JKS.
– What is one moment in your home that the JKS team created that you cannot get enough of?
C: Our master bathroom. I love how the natural materials and simple details come together to create a very bright and calming space.
Alice Lane: Podcast — Designing vs Decorating | 8 Misconceptions of Interior Design
Main Image — Photography: Joyelle West
Subscribe to receive the latest design + life updates delivered right to your inbox.